2.07.2007

Discussion Bored?

The Discussion Board only works if we forget that it's a contradiction in terms: Discussion? On a Board?

We're used to the idea of the Listserv as a meeting ground for people to "discuss" topics (news, TV shows, software, books, movie stars), and many of you have likely participated in such discussions. However, like it says in the Guidebook, "online 'discussion' is not verbal, like it is in class, but written" (23), and for our purposes, the WebCT DB gives you another chance to practice your writing skills.

Thus, the basic rule for this class -- the more, the better -- applies equally to journal writing and DB participation. So, approach your Discussion Board posts with the following mantra:

I have something to say about this topic (a reading or whatever) and, gosh darnit, I'm going to say it!

If you have to play with the topic for a while before you discover what you have to say, then take that time to play. Meanwhile, you may want to avoid posting brief, choppy, impressionistic comments ("I liked it okay but it really confused me at first"). It's great that you liked it, and it's perfectly okay to be confused (by a reading, for example), but to "play" with the topic means that you work through that confusion and that early impression and try to ascertain (in writing) exactly what it is you like and, likewise, what confused you.

You may, in fact, clear up your confusion by writing through it for a while and then composing a response/reflection that then begins with whatever solution you've found to your problem, even if that solution is temporary or incomplete. In short, feel free to start your post with comments about likes, dislikes, confusions, etc., but these perhaps could be managed in a sentence or two leading into more substantive *inquiry* on the topic at hand.

Details and examples, as well, are always GREAT additions to a DB post.

Now, having argued above that online discussion is not really discussion at all, let's revise that thesis and consider online discussion as a particular kind of discussion which, while not verbal, is not entirely unlike person-to-person, or group, conversation either.

Students in the past have complained that one problem with the DB is the lack of response and feedback. Some have claimed that they felt like they were writing into a vacuum and this, of course, made them less than eager to spend the time needed to write anything.

Understandable objections!

And the solution, of course, is to FOLLOW THE GUIDEBOOK on this point and think of the DB as "yet another site, or medium, for the kind of focused interaction and community-building" we're attempting in this class (23). One of your goals with the DB, then, is "to participate in a larger, ongoing class conversation in which you are as much a discussion leader as me or anyone else" (23).

In other words, you're not writing to me exclusively; in fact, I'd rather you not write to me at all. Also, you're not writing to fulfill an assignment. This kind of writing (for the benefit of the professor, to dispense with an assignment) is... no offense... BORING! It tends to be dry, unenthusiastic, false, pretend, overly formal, gimmicky, and uninteresting. In a way, the medium itself encourages this, since we all go in separately and post separately, at different times. Reading through all the posts is something like watching people bowl in parallel lanes. There may be some fun rolls here and there, but overall it's not the most *engaging* activity to watch people BOWLING ALONE!

Now, much of what is now in the DB (in response to the "Labyrinth" story") is NOT boring at all -- in fact, I encourage you to go back in, even if you've "already done you're duty," and consider what some of your classmates have said about this funny little story. Write back. Pick up on one of their points and run with it. Challenge an interpretation (for example, do you agree that the "Labyrinth" story is an S&M sex narrative written for 17th century perverts?).

In short, start conversations and continue discussions already started. Absent that, the DB becomes just another thing we have to do, and I'd rather not do that. (I'd rather go bowling.)

20 comments:

DrewMohamed said...

The entire concept behind the "Discussion Board" seems useful and a good resource to utilize. However, I feel people might not take advantage of this resouce. I have posted messages looking for responses, but unfortunately, I never receieve any. This Discussion Bored might be new to people and might take time for them to warm up to it and realize it is a crucial part in our journey.

Anonymous said...

Well I guess all this mumbo jumbo about the discussion bored thing is pretty valid…I think that it might not be a duty after all but it would be a little fun if you the professor, somewhat checked into the bored so that we could have your feedback. Even though that this is something that we have to do it would be good if we can have some other ideas. Like for instance, it would be fun if you could post something to help us make a conversation or engage us. It would be pretty good if you could help us and add some kind of food for thought. If adding food for thought would be a bad idea then I think that we should somehow find some random way to get people to be in the discussions and actually be interested in what is being talked about. One instance that would help would be where someone would find an outside example on how we could relate the labyrinth story to that example. I think that the limit set at the discussion board always will make students feel that they have to actually post something that may not even be related or just totally unsystematic.

steph said...

I love the whole WEBct thing. I never even knew it existed, it seems like none of the professors here like to use it. But, it is good to have especially with us only meeting twice a week. It's a good way to have discussions outside of the classroom even if it's about a topic that you don't care about. It helped me understand the readings we had to do last week about that short story (I honestly don't know how to spell the title). But, the other student summarized it in the board and I became less confused. And I do like this whole blog thing, although it is very weird that I'm posting a comment on my professors blog. And, he just gave me his AIM screename. One of my friends just told me that last semester they didn't use blogs, but I really do like using them. Okay I'm going to stop typing now!

Shaneeza said...

Since none of the other professors use the webct feature, it was completely new to me. I agree that it's a great way for the students to interact with each other outside of the class. Besides, I'm not much of a talker so I see it as an opportunity for me to easily say or ask what I want. The blogs are another great idea. I've never had to do this for another class nor heard from someone else that they had to either. I guess it's a creative way of practicing our writing instead of the old-fashioned way. With all the technology we use these days, it makes more sense to do things this way!

SaNdYSoLeiL said...

"If you have to play with the topic for a while before you discover what you have to say, and then take that time to play." As said in the blog this class enforces a great way to interact with each other as well as various sources of communication within the class. This class forces me to work more with others on different scales as for as researching and collectively writing together.

Danielle S. said...

I guess the reason why some people, like myself, would, in a sense, be intimidated by the discussion board and feel that they have to come up with the most brillant, spectacular ideas would be because the discussion board seems like a very academically formal-type writing space. And I don't think people would initially think they could use the discussion board like the journal on this blogger spot thing is used, but now that its been made clear how the discussion board can be used, it will make writing on it a little less strenuous.

Unknown said...

I agree with using the Discussion Board for various conversations not only because it is some what mandatory. We have already ued it it get to know each other better but we must also use it to possible help each other understand readings, for example the Labyrinth Part 1...I am not going to lie I went into some other responses/comments to help my understand the story a little better as well as to know that what I was going to write would be somewhat similar to the other students. This online version of a conversation has never been asked of me before and I enjoy it, therefore, will also take control of using this to become a better writer, listener, and reader.

Kaitlyn said...

I always thought of the discussion board as a place just for writing responses to our reading material. So it really was discussion bored. I never realized that's its purpose was beyond that. I like the true purpose that it's for us to further explore what we absorb so to speak from the reading. I also like how it's a chance for us to get to know what other people are thinking so that we can not only see different points of view,but also get to know one another. It's sad that no one has really taken advantage of it. I hope that the topics start forming on the disscussion board and that it becomes a place I can rely on for not only learning ,but as a way to get to know people.

Terry said...

Yes sir! I believe that how the internet is involved in our English class is not only innovative but effective. Through the likes of discussion boards, and WebCT the students are offered a larger playing field to practice on and it is overall more readily accessible. A good example of how well this works would be when a classmate of ours missed class and had a query. They posted it on the boards and received a solid answer without having to dial a number or ask someone for their number.
Overall it makes us the students more like a community and less like a classroom full of strangers. Using technology, we can now communicate openly with each other without being too personal. It is this form of multi-band communication that will no doubt improve our learning process as we go on.

P.S-I’ll still ask some of you for your numbers anyway!

Anonymous said...

I find the discussion board just another way to communicate effectively. Now when I sign on to my laptop it's added on to my typical places to check: Facebook, e-mail, English discussion board, my blog, and Myspace usually in that order. The Discussion board is like a chat room or any other typical place, but I feel sometimes that I am restrained only because its for a class. It's like the whole have rules and assignments, I don't do anything unless I'm told or I get a specific grade on. It is hard to move away from "chains."

$yed said...

I agree with justine when she said that the discussion board is just another chat room. Some people are too shy to say their own opinion about something and they might prefer to write it out instead. It's intesting too me how sometimes the most quiet and shy person always has the most intersting to say in a conversation. In this way, they might come out of their shell if they find positive feedback to their responses and posts.

Lexi said...

Well for me the discussion board is nothing new. In my english class that I had last semester that's basically all we did. WE read a story, you posted your response to the discussion board. I actually like the discussion board alot beucase you get to read what other people write and what they are thinking about when they read it. In a way it makes you think alot because maybe that other person is hitting a point that you either didn't understand or just completely missed. I also feel that the disuccion board sometiems is easier to express how you feel about a topic. For me atleast it's alot easier to express my thinking on something my talking it out loud while im either typing it or writing it. SOunds wierd becuase I'm still talking but for me it's alot more comfortable that way.

Joe Thistle said...

Using the discussion board is a whole new thing to me. This is the first time any of professors offered this option. At first I really didn’t know how to you use and really what it was for. Now I understand the concept of the discussion board and its purpose. It’s a great tool for the class to use to answer question and to just stay on top of the material going on in class. I feel that the discussion board will be used more as time goes on. I think people felt the same way about it. Not knowing really what is and how to use it.

Katie said...

I like the idea of the DB, but I hate feeling pressured to use it. Some of the topics that have been started on the DB I have no response to and I don't want to post something just to post. I'd rather respond to something when it "inspires" me to do so. I realize I could start my own discussion, but personally I prefer face-to-face conversations rather than throwing out a line and hoping to get a bite. Yes, I prefer to corner people so they can't run away. Just kidding. I'll work on being more "vocal" in the discussion boardroom.

Gina said...

I totally agree with all of these responses. I also had posted on the DB and did not get a response. It's great way to never be unsure of anything because you know if you didn't hear something someone else did. I really like the DB and am really trying to take advantage of it.

Sonal Desai said...

I like the idea of the discussion board. Its good place for everyone in the class to be connected and have a better understading of whats going on from the students point of view. On the other hand, it can sometimes be difficult to get a response back in time when it comes to subjects that concern the class itself. But in the end it is a good way to make your thoughts and questions public so others can relate or help you out outside the classroom.

Efoula said...

i think it's awsome that most of our class is online based. we're living in the 21st century, and it's only going to get more technologically advanced to why not use it to our fully advantage? and plus, it's also a great way to get used to writing -even if it isnt on paper. i feel like it's easier now to write online (or the computer) because most of our time is spent on the computer anyway, so i feel like it makes us more comfortable to write (or type) things down since it comes to naturally to us anyway. i think the db is awsome because it keeps us connected, and lets everyone have their own input on the same topic all at once, without having to shout over one another such as in a classroom for example. i am just completely in love with the whole db idea. even though i may not comment often, i still log on and read what others have to say.

ashley said...

The discussion board seems like a good concept in retrospect, but I would rather have a verbal discussion in class. I think it’s good to get out your thoughts after you read something, but maybe we could bring up some of the topics written about in class. I find it hard to carry a conversation online when the responses are not immediate.

Kate said...

I understand that the discussion board is suppose to be another way of practicing our writing but I don't feel comfortable discussing something through a typed paragraph. I would rather dicuss an issue like a tv show or movie stars in person rather than type a response and wait for the person to type back. But even though I don't like the discussion board I am going to continue to post on it.

Sasha said...

Reading is fundamental. This is why: I read your post and I understood everything, so well that I didn't have any questions or comments. That would lead to a BORING comment from me (bowling anyone?). So I decided to see what peers wrote and a lightbulb started to flash above my head (ding!)
I agree with all of my classmates responses, particularly with Mariely and Katie. I often find myself reading other's responses to get my brain working, that works for me ALL the time. Also, the discussion board is good common ground for my classmates and I, but it will be difficult if it is forced. There ARE instances when I look through the comments and I get no spark from within to write something that wouldn't look "brief" and "choppy." I can't find myself going on it everyday and leaving a comment because I'll find myself feeling useless writing something so 'blah.' Hey, I have an idea, let's go bowling!! (lol) <3