2.19.2007

How to Write More and LIKE It!

Okay, I'm just about done with my second "blog sweep" and I'm a little disturbed by the lackluster results I'm seeing. In my first blog sweep "reflection" I tried to be encouraging and enthusiastic, mostly because I didn't want to turn anyone *off* to writing, this class, me, their blogs, etc. As the "guide on the side," I wanted to be positive, supportive, and point out the good things I was seeing. In the first weeks of this "vision quest," I didn't want anyone to give up in frustration and head home (retreating into old habits) before the journey had even begun. But also I was, as I wrote, honestly "impressed" by much of what I saw. I was genuinely charged and excited.

In all honesty, I don't feel that way now. In fact, in too many cases I see reasons to be downright discouraged. Five or six journal entries in almost four weeks time? What part of "the more, the better" do these people not understand? How difficult is it, really, to get the idea that "a journal entry a day keeps the (grumpy) professor away." So many seem keen on this idea that "we learn to write by writing" -- that we need to practice writing in order to get good at it -- and almost everyone seems genuinely committed, in principle at least, to the challenge of getting better at their writing.

And yet so few people are writing! What's up with THAT?

Okay... take a deep breath... relax, Bill. There's no use getting angry or frustrated about this. Maybe it was a slow two weeks. Maybe the hard reality of coursework (in this and other classes) has sunk in and everyone's feeling a bit overwhelmed, distracted, overworked. Maybe there haven't been enough "directed" journal assignments, although I must maintain that even an "open" journal entry assignment is, in its own way, a form of direction. I mean, these are college students after all, right? They're all adults. They may complain about having to "come up with something to write about," but how hard is it, really, in this day and age, with all the things we do, see, hear, feel, etc., to "come up" with some informal writing. For goodness sake, it's not even graded!

In other words, I don't think I'm asking for too much: 10 entries as a minimum at this point in the course? Seems downright generous, easy, maybe too easy. Breaks down to about one every two or three days. The ideal, of course, is one every day, or at least an average of one per day, but I'm a realist. I'm not going to expect THAT much writing. But maybe I should. Maybe I err in NOT requiring, what, 300 words a day? Maybe I should hand out a bunch of "Fs" right now and see how many of them can scramble their way to a passing grade by the end of April.... He he he! Maybe that would get their attention (he says with a snear and a growl).

Oh... woe is me! I KNOW NOT WHAT TO DO!

............

Back to basics:

Question: How do we write more and LIKE it?

Answer (for me): Make it a part of your EVERYDAY life. Don't think of it as just writing or just an assignment. Make it a study activity; treat it as "down time," a time to relax and center your thoughts; use it as a form of prayer or meditation; do it in the morning, over coffee, as a "stretching activity" to wake up your brain and get ready for your day.

Or, why not: Assume that in order to pass this class -- PASS, not get an A or a B or even a C, but just to pass the class -- you have to take this idea of *writing a lot* seriously and WRITE A LOT! I'd rather not be so draconian in my interactions with you, but if it helps you to have the dark cloud of failure hanging over your head, then let the clouds form! Bring on the storm (no pun intended). For the benefit of all, I hereby declare the following (thunder bolts please) :

IN ORDER TO PASS THIS CLASS, YOU HAVE TO WRITE A LOT. And that means you have to shoot for an average of, well, at least one entry (journal, your own writing, not 10,000 words pasted from Wikipedia) every two days. There are approximately 100 days in this semester. That means about 50 discrete, solid, engaging, readable journal entries by the time you're done with me. (Some of you may be looking forward to that day, eh?)

If you've read this far down, then I hope you're smiling -- maybe getting ready to write me a LOL comment -- because yes, I am writing this as a kind of parody of the mad professor getting mad. Mostly I want to encourage, and inspire, more writing, because much of the writing that I do see is interesting and fun to read. I want more!

This question, though -- How can I write more and LIKE it? -- is an open question.

Perhaps some of you have answers (strategies, ideas, practices, techniques) that you could share, either here or in the Study Hall. Please do share... that's what this class is all about.

Meanwhile, WRITE MORE!

[Note: There are several people doing just fine, writing a lot, taking it seriously, finding the time. I may call on you to help me help others find their respective grooves, as well.]

9 comments:

KatieK said...

First off, when I read that "lol" I really did laugh out loud...that day in class was quite funny. Anyways, in the beginning of the semester, when you told us to just write whatever comes to mind, I took that into great consideration. I really did write whatever it was that I was thinking..and I tried to make it sound somewhat formal and intellectual. The funny part was, I inspired someone...without even meaning to! I felt really proud of myself for several minutes. So, for those of you who are having a hard time writing more "formal" entries, just take those informal entries and alter them a bit. If I find myself simply writing about what I did that day (boring) I turn it around by relating to something we learned/discussed in class that day, or relate it to something that I have experienced in the past. I don't know if I will help anyone by writing this but it was just an idea!!!

Kate said...

Ok please dont start handing out F's!! I object to that idea very strongly. But this entry has actually inspired me to want to go back to my blog and write some more!! Thanks Professor Marsh.

apollonia said...

HA! This was a really funny entry. You write like me...You say what is on your mind! Espically the first paragraph!!
This was great! I enjoyed reading it, I was looking at everyone's page and I couldn't believe that I had 30 entries and everyone else had 5 or 6!

apollonia said...

o0o0ps.... I meant the SECOND paragraPH!!

apollonia said...

o0o0ps.... I meant the SECOND paragraPH!!

Sasha said...

Oh Lordy!! The lash out of the professor!!! I understand completely what you're frustrated about.
I find it easier for me to write about what I am feeling at the time. No matter what it is. I also tend to write incomplete thoughts. I'll start writing about something and and then go on to something else. I guess it's jsut so that I won't forget an important thought, so i'll just run with what I am thinking at the time. I love the way you write by the way, it keeps me reading, some professors are BORING!!!!! LOL <3

Anonymous said...

O YEA PROFESSOR...I WRITE ALOT AND I DO WRITE EVERYDAY (WELL ATLEAST I DID RECENTLY)...I KINDA GOT DISCOURAGED WHEN YOU TOLD ME THAT I NEEDED NOT TO WRITE SO PERSONAL...YOU TOLD ME TO WRITE EVERYDAY RIGHT SO THIS IS WHY THAT I DECIDED TO JUST WRITE ABOUT WHAT WAS HAPPENING IN MY LIFE, AROUND ME, AND WHAT EVER ELSE...I JUST NOW HAVE TO GO ON A SEARCH FOR DIFFERENT TOPICS TO WRITE ABOUT!

blue and yellow said...

ok,
some people just arent interested in writing. or...some people need a focus. i know sometimes its hard for me to write without a focus...and this discourages me from writing. as much as i love to write, i sometimes cant write on the spot. i say, if there trying then ok..maybe you shouldnt be so mad. heres a suggestion, maybe we can do this in class, come up with a list of things that we can maybe write about, i guarantee people would be writing more and more. and if they dont...then you can really bad mad...lol =-) .. just a suggestion...

Datmanebaby11 said...

Professor Marsh letting the students know what is on his mind that is what it is. I can honestly admit myself that I have not been writing enough journal entries. The fact that Bill states that more is needed to pass really awakens me.